The Granite State News Collaborative is a collective of nearly 20 local media, education and community partners working together to produce and share news stories on the issues that most impact our state. The hope is that together we can provide more information to more communities across New Hampshire than we could individually.
Beginning in 2021, Collaborative partners will begin a year-long project looking at race in New Hampshire. Our state is not as diverse as others, but it is more diverse than even we recognize and is rapidly becoming more so. For this project to be successful we need to establish and build trusting relationships with the communities we aim to cover, we need to be better listeners, and we need to take what we learn and use solid journalism skills to find out more.
To do that, we need a dedicated engagement reporter.
This is a part-time, salaried position for one year. Salary range is $25,000 to $30,000. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Essential Functions of the Position Include:
- Pitching projects to engage New Hampshire’s communities of color
- Reporting stories that result from community outreach and engagement
- Responsible for building relationships with the diverse communities across New Hampshire
- Responsible for creating engagement opportunities to promote discussion about important community issues online, in person (when possible again) and in storytelling formats.
- Responsible for engaging diverse audiences on multiple digital platforms beyond The Collaborative’s branded accounts/spaces
- Moderating community discussions, online and through in-person events
- Solicit and manages commentary submissions from community members
- Continuously looking for ways to engage across platforms, from InstagramTV to TikTok.
Expected skills and ability for the job include:
- At least two years of full-time experience in journalism.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish or English/French a big plus
- Advanced writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of audience analytical tools and social media strategies to grow a fan base and grow and engage audiences.
- Organizational and planning skills that allow for successful multi-tasking in a deadline-driven, collaborative environment.
- Strong interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of journalistic principles of ethical conduct.
- Audio and video storytelling a plus
Preference will be given to candidates residing in New Hampshire and surrounding states, but strong candidates from outside the region will be considered. Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and clips or a link to their work to email@example.com.